Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a late season swarm that moved into the barn the first week or so of August. They had no interest in moving on even with a swarm box and lure / comb. As expected they drew comb fast. I vac'd and moved them yesterday. It was about 8 pound of bees after I was done. Thought you'd appreciate how quickly they can draw comb. A LOT of honey.....fall flow....mostly goldenrod. The pic of Nathan (my grandson) with me was on the second day the swarm had settled in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Nice photos.
Looks like you got a helper coming along. Got a kick out of the smoker sitting there, never thought of them as a swarm lure.:)

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,802 Posts
Wow, just...wow.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
So much for the late swarms being little.
This is a counter-little swarm.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice photos.
Looks like you got a helper coming along. Got a kick out of the smoker sitting there, never thought of them as a swarm lure.:)
Actually, the "ceiling" that they're hanging from is the floor of the second story and directly above them are 15-20 supers that are being stored, some with comb so they certainly found the right spot. I keep the big barn door open pretty much all summer and they took advantage of it. Better than getting inside the walls!

Nate was pretty brave.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
How fortunate to have such a swarm to hive...... but not nearly as fortunate as having a Grandpa who has made this and will continue to make many wonderful memories to be talked about for generations to come. The lack of fear in his eyes says it all!

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How fortunate to have such a swarm to hive...... but not nearly as fortunate as having a Grandpa who has made this and will continue to make many wonderful memories to be talked about for generations to come. The lack of fear in his eyes says it all!
You must imagine how grateful I am to see this post. I hope, someday, that Nathan changes the world the way he changed me.

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
GREAT post- I really enjoyed reading the entire thread. At the end of the day it seems to me that all that really matters is the legacy we leave behind.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Super photos, thanks for sharing, especially the one with your grandson.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Wow and holey moley! That is HUGE! Wish I was there for that one! And I agree, I try and make as many bee memories that I can with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts