Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temps in the 90’s and humidity up there as well, I’ve tried late afternoon, early evening beekeeping. Not bad at all. With the flow over, many bees are not foraging as before. So yes, a few more bees to deal with, but beats hot sun and humidity.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I take my veil off to you folks in the south working hives in heat and high humidity. Makes one understand why so many go without protection. J

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
With the temps in the 90’s and humidity up there as well, I’ve tried late afternoon, early evening beekeeping. Not bad at all. With the flow over, many bees are not foraging as before. So yes, a few more bees to deal with, but beats hot sun and humidity.
Why, some of us here with 9-to-5 jobs only can get to the hives at 6 pm or later often times.
It works just as well.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I take my veil off to you folks in the south working hives in heat and high humidity. Makes one understand why so many go without protection. J
It never gets THAT not! ;)

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I like working them with very little wind and 80-85 degrees around 1-2pm here in TN. I can usually work in a veil, t-shirt and shorts with a little bribery of sugar water when I open them (assuming other hives are busy foraging and not robby). The last 2 days I had to do some thorough stuff around 6pm. My girls get cranky about that time. Around 20 stings yesterday in 5-10 minutes even with smoke. Still better than donning a suit, but not much. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts