Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was placing on supers that are for last year. I use 9 frames and they are all with good condition with clean quality comb. I noticed that some of them have a smell that I would call fermented as they may have had some honey left in them. Can these frames ne used or are they a problem?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do the frames have pollen? That may be what you're smelling.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Comb with fermented honey or pollen can be washed out with a spray nozzle in the kitchen sink with cool water or a light spray from a garden hose to remove the leftovers. Comb should never smell funky. Moldy frames can be given a bleach bath to brighten them up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are not moldy as I toss moldy frames. I will try washing them out. I had a lot of froames left over from last year that still had some honey. I will check for pollen.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I threw in the moldy frames part for others that may read this thread. I over wintered full frames of honey two years ago and did not have a problem until the wax moths found them. Used them all for splits the following spring. When SHB slime my frames, I do the same thing after freezing. Bees go right to work cleaning them up after a good rinse to get most of the nastiness out.

·
Registered
954 Posts
RTBBEE,you are correct for large amounts,especially when overwintering.
The small amount left in extracted supers put on during a flow will have no effect.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
yes i would use them, as the small amount left is not an issue. Next year dry them before storing. I place mine back on the hive for a week. I find they put some in the first one if direct placed. So I place an empty medium then the wet comb. At times you may get a few Spike of comb built into the opening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts