Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple supers full of capped honey from last year, which I had set aside in my garage for use over-wintering or in early spring. I lost the hives I was going to use them on, so now I've got two supers of capped honey and I'm not sure what to do with them.

I don't want to take any chance of extracting them as I suspect they've molded a little. Should I put them on hives or out in the yard for the bees to clean up and then see about extracting them? Or just let them have them and not use the honey for human consumption?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You want to be careful not to start robbing - which I think putting them out in your yard would do. I guess the easiest way to clean them out will be to pierce the cappings with a cappings fork and then place the super above the inner cover on one of your other hives.

Are you experiencing a renewed flow after the rain earlier this week? If there is an abundance of nectar the bees may be slow to "take" last year's honey. In Hancock County where I am we've had no flow from Goldenrod which has been blooming for quite a while. The Asters have been blooming for a week or two - but until the rain this week it has been too dry and thus no surplus nectar. I'll have to feed one or two hives that have virtually no stores.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd save it for this winter. I doubt it's moldy unless it picked up a little too much moisture. That's free honey. You can harvest what they produce from the fall flow and put those supers on for the winter, right?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Put the supers underneath the hives. In other words, on the bottom board. If the bees need it they will move it. If it is crystallized they will have a harder time eating it if it is on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts