Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I helped a teenage friend start a new hive from a package in May, fed with syrup. He was short on equipment, so when the first deep super was filled, I decided to skip the 2nd deep till one could be aquired later on. I put a medium super on to collect honey... but I had forgotten my queen excluder, so I put the inner cover between them. I thought this might discourage vertical travel by the queen. To my chagrin, my young friend had another young teenage beekeeper over and together they decided I was crazy and removed the inner cover from between the brood chamber and honey super.

It is a long drive to the location and so I didn't make it back for over two weeks. Now there is larvae in the middle few frames of the honey super, surrounded by lots of honey. I promptly searched for the queen to prove she was in the lower deep and placed a queen excluder between it and the honey super.

When the new bees emerge, will the workers refill those cells with honey, since the queen may no longer reach them? This comb was built last autumn and this is it's first honey season... so it is still white. Can this honey be consumed by humans, or should I relinquish these frames to brood production in future seasons?

I'm sorry I goofed this up and didn't communicate better with my young friend. I'm afraid he is more of a bee-haver than -keeper. I'm trying to get the colony to the point where I can coach him over the phone instead of driving way out there.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
It's not a problem. The bees will emerge and the cells will get re-used. I'm not sure why you're concerned about it anyway. Many of us run unlimited brood nest without excluders. Brood in no way damages the comb or contaminates the honey. I use all mediums, so brood in the upper boxes isn't an issue at all. It's just another frame of brood. I can move it down, leave it, use it in another box, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts