Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bees installed 3-27 in 8 frame deep body w/ divided HTF w/ center enterance. I have been feeding Sugar Water on one side and have put a pollen pattie on the other side of the feeder. No major problems to date, but when checking the hive today noticed 3 white larva on top of pollen pattie maybe .5 in long and maybe not quite size of pencil lead around (probably a little smaller). Any idea what they are?? Regardless, I removed the pollen pattie and put another HTF on w/only SW. The PP had been in the feeder for 2 wks -- previously I had stored it in the freezer. ??? Any idea(s) or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, my best guess is that you have hive beetles. I have seen it before, they like the patties when the hive is fairly new and has'nt put up much pollen yet. Yep hive beetles.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
my guess is small hive beetle- this is why i personaly dont use pollen paties. good luck,mike

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
It might be wax moth larva too.

You're wasting your time putting a patty in a hive top feeder. it is unlikely the bees will eat it. If you want the bees to eat the patty, put it as close as possible to brood. More than 2 inches away from brood, and patty consumption declines.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree...SHB. We feed patties down south here but reduce the size of the patty compared to what others in other parts of the country feed... a patty sitting in the hive too long is SHB bait for sure. I also reccomend placing the patty on the frames right on top of the brood.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the comments -- it appears you are right. I had a mite board coated w/ spam under my SBB and had a small black beatle (probably the half the size of a pencil eraser) on it and I killed it -- wasn't sure what it was since I had never seen a SHB before. Being a newbee, I was going on info passed down from a beekeeping class at Brushy Mt. Obviously they don't have a patent on knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts