Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our nectar flow for the year is pretty much done, there may be a couple more weeks but it is in a downward spire.
I got a call that there was a swarm on a guys house so i got out there as soon as I could after he told me it was the size of two basket balls. When I showed up there was a good size swarm hanging from his house. I grabbed them in the box I had brought for that purpose and then we got discussing that fact that they were also most likely in his house.
He gave permisssion to remove the bottom piece of trim and we found at least two times the bees that I had grabbed off the side of the house.
After further discussion it was decided that we would make a bee vac. He went and picked up some dryer vent while his son and I poked holes in an old tote. (The comb in the pic is from a previous hive.) I don't know if the bees could have all fit in the space although they were several feet down the space on the left of the house.
As you can see in the pictures it worked fairly well although when I make a real one I won't use 4 inch hose, not enough velocity to get the bees into the box, I had to periodically hold the hose up and straight so they would slide into the box.
I emptied the tote into the box and when I did was shocked at how much heat was in the box so i put some venting in the box.
When everything was said and done there were only tow stings, one from smashing a bee and the other one a fluke on my cheek. There must be 10 to 15 lbs of bees and I have no idea if I got the queen or not.
Given that I have a mondo hive with no necctar flow what would you recommend? I have 5 other hives that I could give more bees to or I could see how much comb they pull before they starve, I really don't want to feed them 200 lbs of sugar, my wife will kill me!

(The guys in the pic are the home owner and his son, I took the picture. They were awesome!)

http://yfrog.com/euronericjx

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Give them a couple frames of eggs and young brood to hold them in the hive. If you have some drawn comb in your other hives give them a frame or 2 to get the queen started laying. A hive with that many bees is worth taking care of even if you have to feed them. If you didn't get the queen you should find cells being built on the eggs/open brood very soon.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Naw, don't bother feeding them, there are too many hungry mouths to feed.

Make a large screen box and put them all in there. You can mail them to me.

PM me for address.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Im with Troy, you can ship them to me if you want, I'll feed em.

It's not like you're going to have to feed them 200 lbs, at least not all at once. Put them in a new box and feed them. Or put them in a new box, and WHILE feeding them, list em on Craigslist, someone will buy em.

C2

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went through the top box tonight and was surprised at how much nectar there was and there were some brood, I didn't go through the other 4 boxes, didn't have time but it looks like they are doing better than I thought. When I get back in town in a week I will go through the whole thing and look for the queen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts