Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Captured a very large swarm over 7 pounds of bee with queen have put into a 10 frame deep with a frame of honey the other 9 frames are on drawn comb. Thinking of adding a 2nd deep (very soon) with a checker board of new and drawn frames. This is my first large swarm just have not delt with this many bees, just want to see if there may be any other ways or ideas other than spliting this hive out there.

Ideas/thoughts would be great thanks for looking.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I caught a large one also. In one week they filled a deep with honey. So I add another box and checker boarded it.

Keep giving them room or they will swarm.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Yes in FL there always a chance.

If you’re in Africanized territory then there is always a chance your EHB will be usurpation (a small swarm of AHB take over and kill your queen).

They found an AHB hive that survived the winter in CO. so we might all be seeing them.

Some beek keep them and AHB don’t need mite treatments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Captured a very large swarm over 7 pounds of bee with queen have put into a 10 frame deep with a frame of honey the other 9 frames are on drawn comb. Thinking of adding a 2nd deep (very soon) with a checker board of new and drawn frames. This is my first large swarm just have not delt with this many bees, just want to see if there may be any other ways or ideas other than spliting this hive out there.

Ideas/thoughts would be great thanks for looking.
Crewdog61. I would place a box with undrawn frames on top ASAP. I caught a large swarm two weeks ago ( about 10 lbs or so) I gave them a few drawn frames and 20 plus foundation only and foundationless frames(in three medium boxes)and they drew the majority of them out in a week with out feeding. They also filled four with nectar. I'd give them something to keep them busy and you'll get a bunch of new drawn frames. Full disclosure, I have only caught four swarms and this is only my second year so if there is someone else with better advise, please correct me if I am wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts