Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave an estimate to cut-out a colony from an old Farm house on an inside wall. I am 95% certain that when the paneling comes off there will be Plaster and Lathe in my way. There is a small window in the room where I can open, and where I forsee a fan getting placed, in order to blow the dust out. Other than that, I also think they may be in the ceiling as well. I intend on ordering two spare baskets of the Owens Bee Vac, as the hive appears super large on the outside. Other than that I sure could use some suggestions here. I am hoping to tackle this job in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
from a demolition perspective I would recommend investing in a diamond blade for a skillsaw and cutting out swathes of the lathe and plaster, otherwise I would think the mess of busting up the stuff would disturb the bees excessively, ouch!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Diamond cutter on a 4" grinder like suggested. Shop vac with an extra length of hose so you can place the vac outside and run the hose through a window or door.

Mark your cuts out with a straight edge and pencil, cut with one hand, hold the vac hose with your other hand about 3" in front of where your cutting to suck away the dust and take it outside.

Luck to you. Wear a dust mask and ear protection.

Dom

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Sawsall with a fine metal blade works well. Less dust and will still make straight cuts. Once you get to the lathe another fine metal blade will remove the lathe without cracking the plaster you want to keep in place.
Dust mask is necessary (not optional).
Tape the shop vac hose to the sawsall and let er rip.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I am with Mr. Beeman on this. A sawsall will make less dust.

In cutouts like this, I have found that the colony does not normally attach to the plaster, but rather, attaches at the top. Old farm houses normally have 2 X 4 voids between the studs and if this one does, you can cut down beside the studs and remove large chunks of the plaster/lathe in big sheets.

Again with Mr. Beeman, mask is a must.

Work slowly, and this type cutout normally goes pretty easily.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
364 Posts
Most old farm houses were built with balloon construction methods.
The 2x4 wall void runs from the floor to the roof with no floor plate between.
The sawsall and fine cutting blades are the tool of choice.
Bring along extra blades as plaster eats them up fast.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
tefer2... That is what I have also found in old houses, however, sometimes there is a horizontal 2/4 at the center, and this will need to be cut out above and below this horizontal 2X4.

cchoganjr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts