Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new beekeeper, one hive, 3 weeks old. I have a langstroth hive, carniolan bees, foundationless frames.

My first check I had to scrape off a couple of chunks of burr comb (made the mistake of hanging the queen cage). I was pleased to see that the cells were the natural size of 4.7 mm. This week's hive check also caused another chunk to fall off. When I pulled it out I was amazed to see how large the cells are. They measured 6.5 mm! The cells are slightly smaller at the top of the chunk and gradually get larger toward the bottom. The chunk fell off the 7th frame.

I'm wondering if this is an indication that something is wrong. Help appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Give them a little more time to build and they will start to " normalize" over time....Since you are foundationless it may not be right away.. My understanding is that drone comb can be like 6.2 to 6.4? Let em build and i think if they dont have anyone patterns they might just build smaller . More seasoned bee keeper on here may be able to shed more lumination on the subject.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It is simply a sign that the bees want to raise some drones. Not a problem and no indicator of what size they will build for worker brood in the future.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
It is also the size they draw for honey storage comb, not just for drone brood. They normally draw larger cell comb at the top and sides of the worker comb for honey storage, and for drone brood rearing. Sometimes they draw it in the center also, more for drone brood rearing. No cause for concern, they will draw their combs the size they want and need when using foundationless frames.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts