Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving bees from Langstroth to TBH sounds like a messy and creative challenge. But wouldn't it work to put a few top bars into the Langstroth body ahead of time, let the bees build their own comb and fill 'em up with the goods, then do the split using those bars? Trimming the wax foundation seems like it would be pretty simple compared to trimming down a full frame and attaching it to a top bar.

Would clearly need some adaptations to the bars themselves, but otherwise it seems straightforward. Why don't I see this method being suggested on forums, blogs? I must be missing something. Probably something pretty obvious. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
well I'll be.... that will actually work pretty well for me because I'm going to be doing the same thing, and I should probably look at doing it pretty soon before the new queen hatches (queenless, but queencells) and gets mated, that way I can remove the brood frames, and then let them rob out the honey frames.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ok, I have just changed the roof to top bars and the first actual bar has been put into place, hopefully they will draw it out pretty well in the next day or so and I can start switching out frames for bars as it goes.

I'll let you all know how it works out.
Please do...I want to give it a go myself:}

1 - 6 of 6 Posts