Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new Beek in Virginia Beach,
Installed a Swarm on Tuesday evening, everything went fine. Checking on them yesterday, I noticed at lot of activity in and out of the hive, but very little pollen coming in. About one bee with pollen for every 200-300 arivals maybe more. Its was very overcast with a very light rain all day- less than 1/4 inch. So my question is- is the lack of pollen due to new foragers, rain affecting the pollen, or lack of need because of lack of brood?

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
DK

I just installed four packages Sunday, and I would say I am seeing about the same thing that you are seeing. I do know that the bees are working the heck out of the ton of honeysuckle that I have around my property, but not a lot of pollen coming in. Being a new beek I am just guessing that at this point they are more interested in the necter for comb building. but that is simply a guess on my part.

Good luck
Blueline

·
Registered
290 Posts
I installed a package Monday afternoon, checked Wed to see if the queen had been released, and only saw a couple of bees with pollen in their baskets. Definitely dandelion as it's all over the place & I saw the girls working the flowers while I was weeding the strawberry patch. I started with all drawn comb, but I'm still not sure how soon they'll switch to pollen collection since there's not much need to draw comb.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
you should be feeding a new swarm. good luck,mike

·
Registered
429 Posts
mothergoosemagic, my expetrience says they will gather nectar as long as they don't need pollem. as the need increases thee ratio will too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts