Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a new house with a big yard, and I need a riding mower. The current owners of the house have a 2001 model John Deere Model GT235-48 that has about 300 hours on it. The owner has kept it garaged when not in use, and it is well-maintained. Frankly, it does not look like its 8 or 9 years old, but it is. It has not been used to do anything other than mow level grass.

It is this model with a 48" mowing deck:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/ProdCatProduct?pNbr=SKU18932&tM=HO

How many years would you expect one of these to last before major problems?

What's this thing worth?

Not asking anybody for a warranty here, just trying to get a feel.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What's this thing worth? ...just trying to get a feel...
How about doing a search on Craigslist.org and see what mowers or lawn tractors of compartive size are being priced for. Get a wide sampling of machines in the class you are looking at and toss out the top and bottom 10% then average the rest. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you do a search of the entire craigslist? I only know how to search a particular city. I've looked in the tulsa listing and don't find anything similar.

(There was a dude who is trying to sell a ZTR John Deere mower who left it outside and posted a picture of it nearly covered in snow in the ad.)

Also, sale price is only one of the questions. I also need a feel for how long J. Deere lawn tractors last.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Google- John Deere Model GT235-48

Sale price idea
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=JOHN+DEERE&Mdltxt=GT235&mdlx=exact

As long as you do proper maintenance and don't abuse it you could get 10-20 yrs use out of it. Spray the deck off(upper and lower) after every mowing as that will be the first thing to go(rust through). Don't bang the deck against trees, post, landscape timbers, etc.

I still have my first john deere rider and I abused the heck out of it and rarely spray off the deck. I mow trails in the woods, mow my 1/2 acre clover food plot and used the snowblade for pushing dirt(with chains on the tires). I've had it for 10+ yrs.

I got a great deal($1000.00 with snowblower) on another one(LX model) that is in great shape(almost new) last summer for when my old one dies. It's sitting in the same spot I parked it when I brought it home waiting for the old one to die(if it ever does).

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
Neil -

I had a 300 series for 25 years. I bought it used back in 1983. I beat that thing up and it kept going. My neighbor had one like yours for the same amount of time, 20 hp twin w/power steering. I don't know if the newer models are built as heavy as the ones from the 80's, but you can't go wrong with either a Deere or Cub Cadet, especially the older ones. I have a hunch the newer ones use a lot more stamped steel and less heavy stock steel.

Beware, parts are outrageously expensive, especially for Deere.

·
Premium Member
7,923 Posts
We have a Scott's with a 46" deck and 20 HP motor that we bought new in 2003. It does the work that most people would expect out of brush hog. DH takes meticulous care of it, and it has surpassed what we expected of it. (It's made by JD).

·
Registered
359 Posts
How long it will last depends on how well it was maintained. How often was the engine oil changed? Do a compression check and see how the reading compares to the shop manual.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think that MTD makes the John Deere lawn tractors. I have a troy built that is also made by MTD and it is a few years old and does a good job. I have to replace the deck drive belt a lot but that is my own fault for letting the grass get too high and then not paying attention when it gets the blades all jammed up.
I just did some more research an apparently John Deere make John Deere, not MTD.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts