Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By the nature of the board, people tend to adopt usernames which then identify each post that person makes. Unfortunately, usernames often do not tell much about the writer.

It is only natural to think that someone who has worked with many varieties of bees in diverse places over a long period of time might be better informed and have a more useful perspective than someone who has had a few hives, lost them all, and learned mostly by reading. That is not to say that this observation is always and categorically true, but it is a good starting point.

Knowing who is writing is especially useful in the Commercial Beekeeping/Pollination section, where fact and experience are exchanged.

Theory, unsubstantiated opinion and rhetoric is much less useful in a practical forum than in, say, Tailgater.

Each user has a profile page and its purpose is to make it possible for others to decide with whom they are conversing and how much weight to give to that person's opinions.

I have noticed that some make use of these profile pages regularly, and I am pleased to see that people who have earned my respect have visited my profile.

For sake of clarity, I had Barry change my username to my street name and have updated my profile to make it more clear who I am and what I do and have done.

I'd personally appreciate it if others would make a point of updating their profiles and consider -- if they are proud of who they are -- adding their real names and other data to the profile.

I've wondered about putting phone numbers and email in there, too, but these days, we are cautioned about such things. Is this caution reasonable, or should we feel comfortable including such info. After all, it could be pleasant to have someone IM or phone up to chat.

Just some thoughts...

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
As an additional note, the general public can't see any of the member profile pages or directory. I realize anyone can join (except we do screen for spammers), but members also have some control over what personal info they make public on their profile. I agree with Allen, I wish members where more transparent about who they are.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
but members also have some control over what personal info they make public on their profile. I agree with Allen, I wish members where more transparent about who they are.
Barry, my case, as you may remember may be unique, as I tried to use my intitials to which an R was added [I assume because of a conflict in usernames]. I have tried to update and give more information on my profile but have been unable to do so. I might PM you later [am on the way out to check bees and do other chores].

Kindest Regards
Danny Unger

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Anybody remember iddee? He used that "name" because his son told him that he would have to enter an ID. id wasn't accepted. idee was already being used. So iddee was it. But we never knew his real name.

It's Walt, by the way. Or Wally to his friends.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Excellent idea, Allen. Just updated/clarified my profile. In addition to which, I always try to end a post with my name.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
When I first got on the net, the ISP guy said I had to have a username for emails. A what? Your CB handle, he said. Oh Ok...
---------
Mike Tooley
Tooleys Bees

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
nice picture allen :)

If i knew how to post a picture, I would
nice to be able to put a face to your typings, right?
sometimes not knowing who your talking to adds a differnet dimention to the conversation.
I will try to figure it out somehow,

by the way Allen, I sure enjoyed your beekeepers diary when you were actively beekeeping. It was nice to look into a beekeepers daily chores just to be able to compair experiences and goings on.

·
Banned
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just go to 'User CP' and select 'Edit Profile Picture' in the left panel. There may be limits to the size you can upload, or it may resize pictures automatically. Can't recall.

I still add to the diary, but I am not doing as much with my bees and have no staff these days.

Going back to previous years is interesting, though. Fascinating to see how many times I made the same mistakes.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Allen,
I am also a lover of the "Diary" - I think I have read every word and continue to do so. I even follow those Scale Graphs. I am always amazed at those Canadian winters and how the bees survive them. Reading your diary has even got me reading BEE-L from time to time - but find it a bit more difficult to follow that format - but the content is always "Meaty". I also agree with your observation that we should and could be a bit more open with our identities on here. The Internet is a strange and foreboding place - but this does seem to a rather gentle and cohesive group. I suppose I'll continue with my old ID because it's the one I have used on all the various forums I participate in and remembering all these IDs and passwords is not something a guy my age does to well anymore.

Herb McIntyre
Garland, NC

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>Fascinating to see how many times I made the same mistakes.

ha!

ya, I keep a journal, most becasue I have a bad short term memory, ;)
how detailed I keep it depends on the importance of the work I am doing as I write in it.
I have found it to be a very useful tool, being able to reflect on past experiences to help make better decissions. nobody is here to tell me whats the right way of doing things, so I have to decide on my own. The journal helps me make an experienced decission.

reading your journal and others helps familiarize the events happening on my farm to other farmer events. It helps ground my thoughts and keeps me in touch with the industry as a whole.

This fourm also has proven to be a useful tool to my operation. My different experiences I can tap into with only a quick key stroke.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would have used some funky, tricked-out, scandalous, uproarious name to log-in, except my memory is so short I thought I better use my own name. It's about all I can remember these days.

Also, using my real name keeps me humble enough not to shoot from the hip or fly off the cuff. An anonymous log-in name is too much of a temptation to start flaming on those who disagree with me...when I can remember what I said in the last post.

So I log in as "Grant" because that's who I am. I also try and sign-off by including, "Jackson, MO"

It's been fun attending the ABF conventions to meet the other beeks who recognize me by my name. Just keeping it simple, sweetheart.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am a small time beekeeper but have enjoyed it so far and appreciate all the great information I have gained from this site. Added a bit more info about me.
Ski

·
Registered
974 Posts
Good topic Allen.This will prod me to update my profile.

I've always wondered why people were unwilling to sign their names to their opinions.

I'm glad to see you (and Peter) contributing to this forum.

Jack

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
Some good suggestions here. I try to never post anything that I wouldnt say to their face. I also try to never get baited into online debates, my rule is to think about it for a day and then post a reasoned response. So many of these online forums get ruined by a few flame throwers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts