Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my queen is about to be replaced do I simply just kill the old one? Or could I take her away a few miles a release?
thanks

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If they are replacing her just let them do the work, if you are replacing her just drop her in a jar of alcohol to use for swarm lure

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
No anthropomorphizing allowed but it would be preferable to just kill her. When requeening, I sometimes use the old queen as an eraser on the new queens cage to spread the familiar queen scent on the new queen. Good luck with her taking. Is it true you folks are having a cold winter?

·
Registered
127 Posts
When I replace queens I kill her and throw her dead body into the hive. I find that this quickly communicates to the hive that she is dead and enables a queen to be introduced with relative ease. I keep the new queen corked until the bees accept her (as indicated by the workers NOT trying to chew on her through the cage. Once I see them treating her with respect then, and only then do I candy plug her (just for good measure).

I'm sure there are other ways to do this; it's just how I and many around me do it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Ok my queen is about to be replaced

By you or by the bees?

>do I simply just kill the old one?

If you are purposefully requeening, I would drop her in a jar of alcohol. QMP is a very valuable thing to have around for swarm lure.

>Or could I take her away a few miles a release?

For what purpose? A slow death?
thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be taking out the old queen and putting in a new queen, current queen is over 3 years old and slowing down a bit , I don't really like just killing something if its not necessary also how much brood should you see to know your queen is doing her job in the bottom box I run 10 frame boxes?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I will be taking out the old queen and putting in a new queen, current queen is over 3 years old and slowing down a bit , I don't really like just killing something if its not necessary also how much brood should you see to know your queen is doing her job in the bottom box I run 10 frame boxes?
Thanks
If she's heading up a successful, productive hive... why kill her? Why not let the bees decide when she's done and let them raise a daughter queen?

Also, isn't it winter over there? Could you set up a small nuc for her just in case the requeening doesn't go so well? Good to have a backup plan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts