Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for the information on how to contact the field. I left them a message stating how they could have better handled the situation. ANd a little honey bee information.

We will see what happens or if I receive a reply from them.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I would not count on it. Most corporations are beholden to nobody. I guarantee that field is run by one.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
While I agree that killing honeybees by the uneducated is extremely bothersome, allowing the potential of Africanized bees to thrive via swarms (in known africanized areas) is not exactly what I would call good practice either. Especially in heavily populated areas.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Here it is from a University in Florida!

http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/afbee/bee_removal.shtml

Because of the still expanding presence of Africanized honey bees in Florida, it is state recommendation that all feral honey bee colonies (not managed by beekeepers) nesting in close proximity to areas frequented by people or domestic animals be eradicated by a licensed and insured Pest Control Operator (PCO) or removed by a registered beekeeper for purposes of public safety.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Killing them off is really not a viable option. Better get used to them they are here to stay.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Just stating facts. Bees have been mean for years, nothing new here. Before the African blood there was the AMM blood. They were meaner in fact. Too much sensationalism about these critters, leading to destruction of bees that are probably not African in the end - or enough African to even be an issue. Bees will be bees, not pets.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Just stating facts.
If you have facts out there about how horrible AMM is and compare them with AMS then post links to eduactional research sites.

Personally I have never heard about 10,000 German Black Bees attacking and killing livestock or humans. There are alot of reports of AMS attacking and killing.
There are many researchers who researched the enthusiams AMS have for protecting their colonies.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My point is that spreading hysteria does beekeeping no favors. We have had them for years down here. Granted, the ones found North of the border are NOT the same as the ones found down south.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I completely agree with the hysteria of AHB condemning the rest of beekeeping and ultimately us beekeepers. That is why we as beekeepers need to be prudent in helping control the hysteria. Whether you agree or not, that includes controlling unknown sources of swarms in prominent AHB areas, thus lending towards keeping the media from projecting the hysteria.

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
I think the way this was handled actually elevates the public hysteria. There was nothing aggressive about this swarm. It should have been captured, taken to a safe place and tested. According to Willie, "the problems is if they left they could have gone into somebodies soffit, or roof, or another location that had more structure to it, or shelter, where you would have been more comfortable with." Nothing at all about educating the client about AHB.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just this weekend, we re-queened 28 Africanized colonies at one of the orphanages we run at the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua Mexico.
The bees are terrible to work with, but they thrive without any kind of chemicals or treatments. There is a government program that will sell you queens at half the price just so you can bring calm bees back into the fields. So far, there are regions that all you see is aggressive mean bees and nothing else, at other regions, the "queen exchange" program seems to be working. Now, I just know that we will have to medicate for varroa and be careful as to their ability to survive under harsh conditions.
If I did not have any neighbors close to my apiaries; I would chose the Africanized bees any time. They are productive, hardy, require no treatments and somehow they just survive harsh terrible conditions and droughts.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What I have seen, predominantly is that ALL feral swarms and colonies are destroyed in most urbanized areas under the assumption that ALL feral bees are African. This being even in areas subject to little or no Africanization. This has to stop in my opinion as we desperately need a feral population to obtain future genetics from. The last time I went back to my home town Dallas/Fort Worth, there was not a bee in sight, though flowers were blooming and the flow was on. I am sure other areas are no different.

As far as AMM goes, there was a research paper down on the a while back called "Defensive Behavior of 3 breeds of Apis Melliferia L" in which they compared domestic honeybees to the old Apis Melliferia Melliferia by counting stingers and attacks on defined target areas. Pretty interesting.

I hate seeing feral bees killed for no good reason. We have lived with the bees in question for years with little affect on the public. As far as beekeeping goes, they have just made us have to become better beekeepers.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Michabees is the expert on these critters. He actually has many hives of them. He's a great guy too...

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sending three guys out there in their shorts and baseball caps with cans of Raid isn't the way to deal with a swarm of bees, Africanized or not. We know how to capture swarms, and it isn't that big of a deal. Much better for beekeepers to demonstrate a certain level of understanding and skill than to advocate the type of approach they did at this field.

It seems that if the bees were AHB and were a threat that they would have made "short" work of the guys in shorts and short-sleeved shirts with the spray cans. :)

Beekeepers should take advantage of opportunities like this to educate. For example, there's a difference between dealing with a swarm and disturbing an established nest. We know the reaction from the bees is completely different, and we need to impart that knowledge to the public.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
As far as AMM goes, there was a research paper down on the a while back called "Defensive Behavior of 3 breeds of Apis Melliferia L" in which they compared domestic honeybees to the old Apis Melliferia Melliferia by counting stingers and attacks on defined target areas. Pretty interesting.
You wouldn't mind posting a link to this paper to a webpage I DONT have to join to read it do you? It seems like I cant read this paper on the google links it shows.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts