Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shortly after 8 pm EST and there is a show called "modern day monsters" on the history channel right now talking about africanized honey bees. Try to catch it if you can.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So over dramatized.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Why do you think they didn't use any smoke? Of course they will get mad and start head butting when you take a sledge hammer to their home. Oh no there's africinized bees in the north-migrating beeks pick up the genetics in their bees and bring them north. The program thinks the bees are migrating like ducks.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
508 Posts
So they take this dude with a pony tail, give him a sledge hammer and a spot light in vegas and make him produce "killer bees" in discrete locations. That show was so lame, but anytime I have a chance to watch bees I will. Also noticed that the testing center was using wing samples/sizes to verify Africanized traits. From what I've read, that DNA can only make it conclusive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like most "reality" shows, they only include the information that supports their position. They use "facts" out of context or that have no correlation to the real world.

If "giant killer bees" are interbreeding and evolving so they can occupy and survive in most of North America, how come after decades of moving north, haven't they moved south into Argentina and Chile?

They basically called Dr. Spyvak a liar when she says they are "tropical" bees and can't survive long and cold winters. Their only support for their theory is that "giant killer bees" can live at different altitudes in the same basic ecosystem. No proof that the bees they found actually survived a cold winter. To me that's the same as saying observing a swarm in August in Nebraska proves that bees can start a colony in August and survive the winter.

While I'm sure these shows do some damage to the reputation of bees and beekeepers, they also provide a starting point of communication and give us a chance to educate our fellow humans on the real "reality" of bees and beekeeping.

These are just a couple of "realities" they didn't mention. I'm sure there are lots more.

Just my rant. :sleep:

BB

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I agree with you guys... It amazes me how they like to feed fear. If you can find something that people are afraid of, you can feed it and make people afraid.
I like the point in asking- why not south…. Hmmmm
All we have to fear is fear itself.

Glad I didn't get to watch it. Sounds like I would have wasted my time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad I didn't get to watch it. Sounds like I would have wasted my time.
On the contrary. Watching this show will enable me to point out the flaws they were showing when someone asks me what I think about AHB, and quote the show or other sources.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts