Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was doing an inspection today and went to finish and saw my italian marked queen on the ground went to put her back into the hive and she fell into the grass after about 1/2 search founder her dead I must have stepped on her. where can I get a new queen. looking for a marked italian queen. kick in the pants was it was my best hive grrrrrr.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the strength of the hive and how do the stores look?

If it is you best hive they should be fine raising a queen

Add a frame of eggs/young larve in about a week to buffer in case they miff up the first round of eligible larve

A short brood break should help with varroa too

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
First year hive, late july, Im pretty sure Id be giving them a mated queen. Thats just me. The drone evictions have already begun here. Good Luck. G

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
You could try both. Split the hive and add a queen to one side. The other side makes its own. If one makes it you recombine if both make it you celebrate.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I noticed drone evictions yesterday during inspection too - saw a worker wrestling a drone and then they disappeared airborne.

I have a queenless split now, and I figured it's too late at this point to try to raise another queen from scratch. Just figured I'd either let it die out or combine, only 3 or 4 frames of bees in there.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I noticed drone evictions yesterday during inspection too - saw a worker wrestling a drone and then they disappeared airborne.

I have a queenless split now, and I figured it's too late at this point to try to raise another queen from scratch. Just figured I'd either let it die out or combine, only 3 or 4 frames of bees in there.
Why let them die out? COMBINE!! G

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

Why let them die out? COMBINE!! G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts