Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two hives that just barely made it through winter. Very small population left. We inspected them again today, and they only have a couple hundred bees in each hive. There was a small amount of brood/eggs, and we did find the queens - who were first year queens last year.

Trying to decide - do we kill the queens and add the worker bees to another hive, or give them more time and maybe brood from another hive?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!
Jennifer

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have another hive to take a frame of brood from then perhaps give it a try. I do this with the thought that the cost to replace completely, say with a package verses one frame of brood it's a smaller investment.

·
Super Moderator
11,180 Posts
Well, according to Randy Oliver, 300 bees is only about 1/2 a cup of bees. If you really have that few, there may a bigger problem than just a harsh winter.

However, being optimistic is not a fault. :) In my opinion, give them a frame of brood and see what happens.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
They made it this far, you may as well give the girl a chance to redeem herself. She will only lay as many eggs as there are nurse bees to cover. so I would not necessarily blame the queen. Some times recovery is slow until the nurse bee numbers get up. Then the build up is exponential. Again if you have resources available I would give them a frame or two of brood with the bees covering it. Just be sure you do not transfer a queen. in most cases you will find that will be the turn around point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What does the brood comb look like?

If a majority is capped, have eggs or have larvae, then the queen is doing her part and you should give her more time. If you have a frame of brood from another hive you can safely take from it, move it in and see if you can beef up the population a bit. They may pull through.

If the are a lot of empty cells between capped, eggs or larvae cells, then your queen may be failing. You could re-queen. With such a small population, though, I'm not sure if I would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts