1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing the University of Missouri's Extension website
http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G7391

and I found this:

Ideally, honey bee swarms should be picked up before they start to establish a nest in an undesirable location. Some beekeepers will capture and remove swarms. If you need to contact beekeepers, police departments and MU Extension offices can direct you to them. Once a swarm establishes a nest inside a wall, it requires killing the bees. Some professional pest control operators provide this service for a fee.
If you choose to do this yourself, about 4 ounces of Deltadust® (deltamethrin) injected into the nest can kill the colony. Wear protective clothing. A second treatment should be made as a precaution within 7 days after the first. After all activity in the nest has ceased, open the wall and remove the dead bees, honey and wax. If left behind, wax can melt, allowing the honey and wax to run. This would damage the finished side of the wall. Nests above ceilings are an even greater problem in this regard. Remains of the nest can also attract other household pests such as dermestid beetles and mice.

WHY would they recomend that they first be KILLED and THEN remove the nest?!?!:s They never even mention websites that can refer you to beekeeper who would do a cut out or for that matter the exterminators who will refer them to a beek!! All the exterminators I know don't want to kill the bees and REFUSE TO KILL THEM! This just makes me angry.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wonder how many members of the public without much knowledge of bees followed their advice??

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
WHY would they recomend that they first be KILLED and THEN remove the nest?!?!

It is much easier (and cheaper) to remove a bee colony if you don't have to deal with thousands of unhappy, stinging insects.

You don't do bee removals to save the bees. You do bee removals to get rid of the bees. Whether you save the bees or not isn't the main point of doing a bee removal - the main thing is to get the bees out of the house so they are no longer a nuisance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well everyone I know that does bee removals doesn't kill the bees, they want to save them. I do bee removals for that same reason.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the key words there are "if you choose to do this yourself..."

John Q. Public isn't going to do a live removal... I agree that they SHOULD include a line about how many beekeepers will do live removals as well, but their advice isn't wrong for a homeowner that doesn't want to have either a pest control company or beekeeper do it.

·
Banned
840 Posts
You don't do bee removals to save the bees. You do bee removals to get rid of the bees.
YOU might do bee removals to get rid of bees, many other concerned and conservation oriented people actually do want to save the bees.

but, what do I expect? I consider the source and just move on.

Big Bear

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
many other concerned and conservation oriented people actually do want to save the bees.

Money talks and BS walks. If they are THAT concerned and conservation oriented, they will put their money where their mouth is, and they will purchase the property that colony is on. Only then will they have a legitimate say in what happens to the colony.

For the property owner, the primary objective is to have the bees removed. The worker is hired/contracted to remove the bees, and their primary objective is to do the job they were hired/contracted to do.

If you are hired/contracted to remove the bees, and you are able to save the bees - that's great. But first and foremost, your obligation is remove the bees, regardless if they end up dead or alive.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am president of the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club, of Upstate NY. We now have an email list where we publish the names and addresses of people who have bees in their houses and want them removed alive. We try to match them up with skilled beekeepers who want to save the bees. Of course, later there will be swarm calls, too.

Bee removal is difficult work which I would not do for free, but it is exciting and rewarding and I admire and respect those who are willing to take the work on. By the way, you do not need to be a carpenter to do this, although it no doubt helps. But you should make it clear beforehand how much demolition may be involved and who is going to fix it!

·
Banned
840 Posts
gee and all those people that called me to ask me to remove bees from their home becasue they didn't want to have an exterminator kill them must be wrong.

It must be wonderful to speak for everyone else in the world.

oh wait, not an omniscient being, just another human who thinks he knows it all.

whew.

Big Bear

·
Registered
358 Posts
Countryboy? Ever had to do a cutout where the bees were poisoned? I have. I got the call a couple of months after they were killed. The stinch was unbearable. You could smell it when you walked in to the house. I ended up buying a resperator to do the work in. I charged the customer $ 630.00 to remove the mess. Aints were living in the insulation there were dead rats in there along with a snake skin. Didn't find the snake. The goo and decomposing mildewing is a task that if I have to do it,I'm going to break it off in your astin. For $125.00 I would have done the cutout and bee gone. Only minor $ to replace the sheetrock. Beleive me they will always be able to smell the rements of a cheep I can do it myself mistake.

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can't expect every homeowner to care about the bees that invade their home. The advise on the extension services site specifically applied only to those homeowners that wanted to remove the bees themselves... these are the people that would not call a beekeeper to do the removal anyway.

The only people who might call a beekeeper are the ones that call a pest control company... which is why I said that they should also mention something about beekeepers willing to do live removals as well. But for those homeowners that are not interrested in having someone else step foot on their property to deal with the bees anyway, they aren't going to call you either, even if your number is there on the extension site. That advise is directed at those people which is why it was precluded by "if you choose to do this yourself".

So they are telling people who would kill the bees anyway, how to do it properly without causing further property damage... and the problem is??

·
Registered
486 Posts
I was just browsing the University of Missouri's Extension website
http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G7391

and I found this:

...Once a swarm establishes a nest inside a wall, it requires killing the bees. ....

... This just makes me angry.
"Once a swarm establishes a nest inside a wall, it requires killing the bees"

Huh?????????????

No it doesn't, and you're angry (or at least I am) because it's blatantly false info to the public!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ben, the site is not addressing ONLY the homeowners who want to kill the hive themselves. He says clearly "Once a swarm establishes a nest inside a wall, it requires killing the bees." He then goes on to say you can either call an exterminator for this or you can do it yourself. It should also explain what the other options are. Sometimes it is nessasary to kill a hive but it certainly is not the ONLY option.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fatscher, I'm upset too. I sent an email to the entomologist that wrote it explaining that it is not the only option. I also included three websites that have long lists of beeks who remove bees so that he could give them to the extension offices. If he even cares...who knows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts