Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago, I went out inspected one my hives and noticed a small pellet from a pellet gun lodged on the side of one of my hives. I know schools out and some kids get bored. I’ve put up some “Posted Keep Out” signs and will be putting out a couple of game cameras. Any beekeepers out there experienced this?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sounds like something I would have done when I was a kid. Luckily they really aren’t going to hurt much, but it’s still the principle of the matter. Never had experience with it.

Look at it this way, it’s giving some real character to your hive.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My nephew and his buds left a few in the boxes in their BB guns days. I figured they’d get bored of it when there wasn’t a reaction from the bees. They did, and moved on to more challenging targets lol.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would put up a game camera if possible. Might recognize them and go to the parents first. Cops a last resort IMHO. I recall some errant judgment
when young.

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Annoying, but little you can do, and a sign will not deter this activity.

Had the odd (real) bullet hole in my hives, always been a one off and not recurred, and never done serious harm.

But if you are serious and caught them with a game camera, a word with the parents may work.

About signs. In my view a unfriendly No Trespassing type sign only antagonises certain personality types. A friendly sigh such as Take Care, Bees Working Hard is non threatening and may provoke empathy rather than aggression.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts