Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I would like to get my 5-year old son a bee suit, or at the very least, a good jacket. Can anyone provide a recommendation for one that you may have purchased for your child that didn't break the bank but still keeps them safe?

TIA

·
Registered
481 Posts
My 10 yr old is wearing a Dadant cotton full suit and it works fine. My cousins 4 yr old is wearing a cotton full suit and does fine. He wears rubber gardening gloves. The main thing is watch the openings. Especially the ankles. Some kids wear the low cut socks. Bad mistake. I make mine wear rubber boots now after three or four got him in the ankle. They slipped in around the tennis shoes and crawled up his leg. Not funny when tears are involved and the wife comes out of the house.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Got a 4 extra small full suit for my 7 year old Grand son (he's small for his age) from Glory Bee for about $60 plus shipping. Good quality suit for the price. Kelley's has children's two piece outfits. Several suppliers have children's outfits, check their websites for sizes and prices. Start the next generation early!

·
Registered
156 Posts
We tried on the kids Brushy Mountain suit. Shop owner suggested a cheaper way might be a long sleeved white shirt duct taped at the wrists, tucked into jeans, duct tape or pant straps to close the ankle openings and boots to protect the ankles for my littler guys, instead of buying a suit these boys will outgrow by next season.

Gloves...well...even the XXS was too big for my third son. He handles the smoker.

Many types of kid sized veils are available.

I wish there was a kids ventilated suit. I'm comfy in mine, plus it's pretty much sting proof, but the boys are too hot in their get ups, so they head back to the house pretty quickly (especially if the bees are fired up that day) but it would likely be impractical to manufacture or to purchase a kids ventilated suit, since these kids grow like weeds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for the info! My (almost) three year old loves to watch when I work the bees and loves to dress up like mommy (usually taking daddy's suit to do so). I would like to find him his own. We're going to go try some on at Pigeon Mt. in a couple of weeks. He's not quite old enough to help, so this would really be for observation purposes. Do you think that we could get away with buying the smallest one we can find and then buying every other size until he stops growing so quickly?

·
Registered
About 40 Colonies
6,500 Posts
I got a ventilated suit for my daughter (who is 3 now), from Capital Bee Supply. Their site seems to be down at the moment. The price was about the same as it was for a standard "bake your little kid in the sun" regular style suit from other places I looked. It's big for her, but I can hike the arms up and cuff the pants up and she gets around just fine in it. It gives her a chance to be near the bees with little risk of anything bad happening. And when she's done she just goes and plays with whatever toys she has in the yard until I'm done. Much better than putting her in heavy canvas-like material and letting her sweat and be uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Blue Sky Bee Supply sells children's full suits, $54.95. Says there is room to grow in the arms and legs; there's also a size/age chart.

http://www.blueskybeesupply.com/deluxe_children_s_suit.html
I'll endorse this suit. I have two.

My 5' son fits in the Small with a few inches to spare/grow, and I've put a 5' 4" adult in the Medium without any problem.

The fabric is as heavy as on my Dadant suit, and it has nice features like elastic on the legs and wrists.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My children are now 10 and 8. When we first got into bees a few years ago, I made them suits from a generic pant suit pattern and bought a cheap veil.....used them only a few times once we realized how gentle the bees normally are. Later was gifted a Mann lake child's suit and am very happy with it! Still, the kids rarely wear them, just the veil. They see me working in my regular clothes and a veil that and follow suit. However, when the kids come along, it is for short, easy work and quick inspections....nothing all-day.

I looked for used children's suits on eBay and they were still pricey, so if you do invest in one, there is probably good resale on it.

Both my kids have been stung, and there were tears but they are good farm kids and understand that ouchies come with it....nothing worse than skinned knees from a bike wipe out. I do believe it is healthy to be stung now and then....sounds like that is the best ways for bee-keepers family members to keep from developing more serious allergies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts