Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a new beekeeper. I bought a small nuc of 3 frames from my mentor. My hive is 9 days old. I added a fourth frame of ready to hatch brood on day 5 from my mentor. I am feeding 1:1 and a partial pollen patty.

I noticed today the drones being removed from the hive. There are three dead ones in front of the hive. I thought this happened in the fall or when there wasn't enough food? I am adding 1:1 as needed. I am planning to do a full inspection this Saturday but wanted to give the queen time to settle in.

Thanks in advance for your help. Nel

·
Registered
317 Posts
You have to remember a bees life is in weeks, workers who are forageing only last a few week, drones,, who know,,Maybe Michael Bush, not I.
Drones have no perpose but to Mate with a virgin queen. So why feed em if you don't need em.

It does seem early, but if you check I bet you find drone cells in your hives to replace them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks tomkat. There were drone cells on the last frame put in as well as workers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I keep seeing people mentioning drones being evicted very early this year.

This is like the third time I think someone has mentioned this ... I wonder if it is something unusual?

Anyone else having this happen?

·
Registered
194 Posts
3 drones in front of a hive might not be an eviction more than it is simply a matter of bees dying naturally. Let them settle down and see what they are laying. Drones are a sign of a healthy hive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zbee: Thanks for your comment. I guess what surprised me - which I didn't mention was the workers fighting with the drones. The workers were literally hauling the drone(s) out and then the drone(s) came back for more! There are now 8 dead drones outside. I am hopeful this is a normal occurrence! It is all new to me so I am being hyper-vigilant! Thanks again, Nel

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
"The workers were literally hauling the drone(s) out and then the drone(s) came back for more! There are now 8 dead drones outside. I am hopeful this is a normal occurrence!"
They are doing interesting things at surprising times and mystifying their keeper. With bees, to me, that is a "normal occurrence." Relax and learn from them. With things they can control, your bees are generally prone to work to accomplish their survival.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am also new to beekeeping. I installed a package a few weeks ago and noticed them forcing drones out in the beginning. But I lost my queen and now there are 20 done cells and 2 queen cells. But before I noticed the done and queen cells they started leaving the drones alone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Michael Bush: I am wondering if I should look in the hive earlier than this Saturday to see what's going on. I think there is food in the environment like Clover, Hawthorne and Dandelions as well as a 1:1 and some pollen patty in the hive. What do you think?

Madams8220: Thanks for commenting. Hope all goes well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts