Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good post Paul, Im glad to see some of the benefits of the mining. Mining provides many needed jobs for eastern Kentucky, and this will also help the wildlife. Elk since being introduced in mining country are thriving and doing great and now maybe we can get the bees thriving again also. I had missed that article in the paper and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Also some other info for beeks in Ky. There is money available through county agents, or another agency that might be administering the programs. It is from the tobacco diversification monies. It is 50/50 cost share in most cases. And yes there is money available for beekeeping. Check with your county extension agent.:D
Brent Cook

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
This is more complex of an issue than just planting plants that benefit bees. The mountain top removal sites get reclaimed already by law. They have been instrumental in providing habitat for the restocking of elk to Eastern KY. Now they have to plant plants that benefit the honey bee... Which is a non-native species? Doesn't make any sense to me.

The coal industry is the largest tax subsidized industry in the state... Everybody worries about it's impact on the state's economy, but the only reason it is here is because the tax payer pays for them to stay. It is a back door way of putting the people of Eastern KY on welfare; the rest of the state pays for their jobs to stick around.... Probably be cheaper to allow the coal industry to leave and just send everybody a welfare check. It would eliminate a job that is among the worst working conditions and would save the state a bundle in medical expenses later on.

I am unsure how I feel about the whole thing.

I loved Tammy's book: Bees in America; although she had some incorrect information in it which I brought to the attention of her editor and they have promised to fix it in the next publishing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I think mountain top removal is horried! I do like the idea to reclaim as much as possible with bee friendly plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts