Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the sour wood flow going so far in Kentucky and surrounding states? My strongest hives have made a shallow super so far. When does the nectar flow end in Kentucky and beekeepers start taking supers off? I'm kind of new at bee keeping and just wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"...When does the nectar flow end in Kentucky and beekeepers start taking supers off? "
all beekeeping is local. ky is blessed with nearly every variety of climate except high desert and seashore. that said, here in western ky the major flow is over and i try to rob on or about the 4th of july weekend.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here in eastern KY the sour wood is in full bloom and still working some white clover too.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Is there that much difference in the flow in the same state??? The other week i heard the flow was over in central ky and was waiting on the fall flow..then some other ppl from ky said they was filling supers and now i have heard it again...Now someone is still feeding their hives thats all there is to it....:lpf:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
"you just never can tell about bees" Winnie the Pooh Bear.
i've had hives put on weight in the midst of the worst drought in 10 years-and found out they were robbing another hive to death. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Flow seems to be over @ Munfordville, Ky. But I will hope for rain soon and more flow to come.

Mr. Haney, Bet they were Italians, huh?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i'm with mike, main flow over in our area. i spun a super yesterday, go back for 2 more today. i read somewhere Ky, is lowest producing honey state. i never found out if that was from a lack of beekeeprs or from a lack of nectar.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The heat has hurt the white clover. My bees are still working in all yards except two in dry areas. THere is a dry area between Lexington and Stanford. IN those yards bees started to peck (rob) if you left honey exposed last week. However I pulled honey in two yards Sat in Danville and never covered any and had no robbing so flow is still on...made another deep in last 10 days. Same in Lexington yards. depends on your moisture level. If clover is brown like at my house its over, if we get rain later this week and it cools down....it can go on for a couple of weeks where bees are still working. As a general rule about July 4 to 10 is end of flow unless you are on sourwood. I was going to move a couple of hundred hives to sourwood, but flow was still on here and sourwood was two weeks early, so it didnt make it worth while to move. If it hadnt gotten so hot and with sufficient rain we could have made honey thru July with all the clover. Still been a really good year!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does kentucky usaully have good fall nectar flow, what kind of flowers do the bees work in the fall and about how much honey do you average per hive in the fall flow?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
1."...usaully have good fall nectar flow..."
no
2."...what kind of flowers ..."
goldenrod and aster
3."...how much honey ..."
no surplus, they burn all they bring in.
these are for western ky, on average, with italian mutts. your results may vary.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
In SE Tennessee sourwood is finishing. The last buds on the spike are in full bloom. It should be finished by 10 July. The flow seems disappointing.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Fall Nectar flow in central ky, the bees made 2 full supers per hive! Bees are still working but i took notice they aint working as hard as they was 2 weeks ago so they might be slowing down now! I was really surprised, i was only exspecting 1 super per hive so they must of put in some overtime...:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts