Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Kelly's slotted top-top loading frames. Seems it would be easier than the wedge frame. Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wonderful frames,a great time saver,the bees fill the slot with wax.IT
IS NO DIFFERENT THAN HAVING A SLOTTED BOTTOM BAR!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Except the slot is on the top. Bees cluster on the bottom and build ladder comb UP to boxes, which leaves the top channels open. Why so hot on these frames I wonder? If you are using duragilt or something I am sure they slap together faster, but if you are on foundationless or using pure wax they will not work right. Gravity is your friend. Better to hang wax...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have 60 plus hives and our slotted top new style frame is the only frame I use except for our new foundationless. I pin my deep frames using the second hole down on one side and the third hole down on the other side.
I find the bees fill in the gaps in the top slot and SHB is not a huge problem. I do not pin my mediums, I use rubber bands when I extract.
This frame is very fast for install of wax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Frames appear to be another one of those personal preferance items, so what kind of frames is the most universal ?

The reason I ask is I have ordered everything but frames, could not decide which to use. Thanks for all your inputs

Newbie Dan

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have tried some of the Kellys frames that you have referred to and like them. We even used them for foundationless with a strip of wax as a starter. We cut the wax in strips with a paper guillotine and place in the top slot then place a few small brads to pinch the slot tight. This got the girls making worker cells right at the start. I haven't tried there foundationless frames yet.

Good luck on making a decision.
Joe

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've assembled over 1000,own 500,&the only complaint is beetles like the top slot .If put in the hive just before flow the bees fill the slot,if not melt a little wax to fill it.I've assembled over 3000 frames this spring[few 75-90 yr old beeks here&I have air tools to their hammers]&IMO the time to fill the top slot is worth it&they square up&fit well.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I ordered a bunch of these, both mediums and brood. I LOVE the wood. Very sturdy. They assemble nicely and the wax foundation slides in easily.

I did not pin or wire the brood foundation and it bowed and sagged to one side. This makes a mess. I'm not happy with my laziness. Brood frames need to have the foundation pinned.

Mediums work well and didn't bow.

And my SHBs run the top groove like it was a race track. But they don't seem to do much damage while hiding in that groove.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts