Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to rant about something. I bought two Dadant copper garden style outer covers and I like them a lot. They cost $67.75 and are well made. They look like this: photo (12).jpg
Months later I caught a swarm and started a 3rd hive and decided to go with Kelley's copper top. It cost more at $76 but I liked the 4 vents on it. It looks like this: photo (11).jpg

After using both for awhile now, I have to say I'm disappointed in Kelley's top. First of all, instead of the nice copper rivets like Dadant, it has cheaply staples. photo (10).jpg
And the vent holes, my bees did not like them and propolised everyone of them. photo.jpg
But my biggest gripe is the shoddy construction. On the inside where the wood all comes together there are gaps and those gaps are havens for hive beetles. I kill at least 25 every weekend hiding in the space. Here's a pic of that space. photo (9).jpg

So if any of you are planning on getting these, stick with the less expensive and far superior Dadant model. photo (8).jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
I highly recommend that you look at the American Copper Hive tops from Betterbee. I have 2 of them, plus 1 from Brushy Mountain and I much prefer the Betterbee. Much better quality plus, most importantly, comes with the inner ventilation hole plus 2 on the sides and they are properly screened. The Brushy one has no ventilation holes, so it gets really hot - had to make the ventilation holes myself.

After a few years they're now getting the right patina looks, so they just look cool.

Przemek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,323 Posts
It's always disconcerning to hear of a less than satisfactory outcome. I built my own just like the ones pictured above for around $6.00.

Instead of actual copper though, I spray painted the aluminum cover a "handhammered copper" color. Looks great all year long and does not oxidize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's always disconcerning to hear of a less than satisfactory outcome. I built my own just like the ones pictured above for around $6.00.

Instead of actual copper though, I spray painted the aluminum cover a "handhammered copper" color. Looks great all year long and does not oxidize.
I'm a big fan of DIY stuff so good for you. My dad offered to buy those copper tops for me, otherwise I'd have never shelled out that kind of money for an outer cover. When it gets warm I'm going to silicone the cracks so the shb's can't hide there. But silicone off-gases a lot. That can't be good for the bees. It even bothers my nose when I use it. :scratch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's always disconcerning to hear of a less than satisfactory outcome. I built my own just like the ones pictured above for around $6.00.

Instead of actual copper though, I spray painted the aluminum cover a "handhammered copper" color. Looks great all year long and does not oxidize.
I'm a big fan of DIY stuff so good for you. My dad offered to buy those copper tops for me, otherwise I'd have never shelled out that kind of money for an outer cover. When it gets warm I'm going to silicone the cracks so the shb's can't hide there. But silicone off-gases a lot. That can't be good for the bees. It even bothers my nose when I use it. :scratch:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top