Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
never knew they made them in plastic , never rot no painting surprised there aren't more of them being made. Not sure how structurally strong they would be and how expensive but seems like a good idea

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some that I found in a storage unit. They are old but still work great, wish I could get some more.
Same here. Some of mine are over 20 years old. I think Kelley was still carrying them when ML acquired them. May take a shot at seeing if they might still have any old stock in inventory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never knew they made them in plastic , never rot no painting surprised there aren't more of them being made. Not sure how structurally strong they would be and how expensive but seems like a good idea
I’m not sure what kind of resin they were made of but they are extremely strong. They made lids and inner covers out of the same stuff. The inner covers had a tendency to warp but the lids and bottom boards worked great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The one thing I don't like about them is the little bump up in the middle near the entrance, which makes using entrance reducers or screening them in a bit more challenging. They are beefy and will last a long, long time.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
does anyone remember what they sold for , just curious , I also made some from trex I used the trex for the three sides and white cedar boards for the bottom with a ship lap so no air could come up through the boards in winter , so far they look like new problem is the cost of trex is ridicules' , now if you could find drops and scraps you would be all set .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The one thing I don't like about them is the little bump up in the middle near the entrance, which makes using entrance reducers or screening them in a bit more challenging. They are beefy and will last a long, long time.
I had a few that were a little tall in that piece, and I sanded them down. Not sure why they included that. Not really necessary. Only other mod I’ve made to them is drilling 5/8” holes in the back corners for drainage.

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I have a few 45 year old ones. Since you guys make them sound valuable I better round them up and use them for something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts