Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one at our spring meeting & really like it. It is plastic (in a wooden super) with a snap top lid. The bees come up through a circle that has a cap on it. You can take the lid off and see them feeding. So far, this is the only feeder my bees are using. Possibly because it is on the strongest hive. The only thing is, there is a small gap between the super and feeder. So far no problems with it, but if it was fall, might set off robbing. To see, it is on page 67 of this year's catalog. Cat#12-S.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I bought one at our spring meeting & really like it. It is plastic (in a wooden super) with a snap top lid. The bees come up through a circle that has a cap on it. You can take the lid off and see them feeding. So far, this is the only feeder my bees are using. Possibly because it is on the strongest hive. The only thing is, there is a small gap between the super and feeder. So far no problems with it, but if it was fall, might set off robbing. To see, it is on page 67 of this year's catalog. Cat#12-S.
So you have not had problems with this gap? I too like this feeder design, until I tried it, and the gap was bothersome.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not tried this type of feeder yet. My thought was if I get one is to put a bottom on the supper with a hole to match the feeder. I would silicone the plastic feeder in place and not worry about it. This is my thought from seeing the picture of the feeder.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks. I felt a little bit like a sucker going for this thing, but I like the plastic box design. I even called Kelly twice last year to confirm I was using it right. So it sounds like burr comb has not been an issue, despite the gap?

I still can not understand WHY they designed it with a gap.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I was planning on using duct tape. What would we do without it?? I'm thinking of using a shim. Will advise on results.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I too like this feeder. Last year, when we first got these I started using them in June. The bees took to them great, as the summer progressed I noticed I got a lot of bearding as the temperatures began to climb. I had the woodshop make me some 2" vented supers which I installed below the feeders super. (Our cat# 12-VS.) For some reason my bees have not burr combed in this area. The vented rim eliminated the bearding and the bees went back to work. Another observation I had in one particular hive was ants. When looking down at the feeder in it's super you will see flat areas around the super where the ants were trying to access the feeder. I sprinkled cinnamon around this area and it cured my ant problem. I have had people complain about drowning in this feeder and while I haven't experienced it, I would suggest that you dont use this with starving bees. Like kids at a rock concert they may pile up and push each other down into the syrup.
Thank You

·
Registered
164 Posts
You spoke, we listened!
Thanks for the input on our 12-S hive top feeder. The super has been modified so the new ones going forward will have no gaps.
I will post a picture on our website soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts