Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Kelly no longer normally carries these frames. They aren't in their catalog. I know they may special make them but I'm sure the price will be a deterrent for the small quantity that I would like to start with, maybe 100 or so. I'm sure that I could whittle out a few with all the woodworking equipment I have access to. If someone has any of these to sell that would be great. Please PM me. But if you have one and could give me the dimensions so that I can build them, that would also be incredibly helpful.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank- Thanks for the link. I watch Mike's videos constantly. You are a great contributor to this forum.

Mike - I was hoping you would have some input. I'm not even sure what type of cutting tool with that thin of a kerf is used to cut those slits. I 'm guessing to make the top bars 19"L x 1-1/16"W and make the thickness 7/16" the entire length, no taper. The groove will have to be cut the entire length. The bottom bar will remain a solid 3/8" thick. Do you see any benefit to making the frames a bit more narrow to allow fitting 11 frames in a 10 frame shallow? My thought is that this would control the comb from being drawn too thick at times and will fit into the display box more easily.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I would stick to standard dimensions for width of top bar and spacing. I think you would not want to go with the wider top bar combined with narrow frame spacing or you will not have bee space between top bars and there will be a lot of bridging there.

I see Michael has advised to use groove in top bar rather than the slit; much easier to fabricate.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Do you see any benefit to making the frames a bit more narrow to allow fitting 11 frames in a 10 frame shallow? My thought is that this would control the comb from being drawn too thick at times and will fit into the display box more easily.
I see no benefit. In fact, I can see an issue. With 10 frames, most combs are just thick enough. With 11 I bet you get combs that are thin and don't fill container properly...or weigh enough.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mike. I have no experience producing cut comb but I used to try basswood sections years ago. I was never very successful and seemed to waste a good bit with unfinished sections. I have a fair amount of people that request comb honey each year so we are going to try cut comb.
I hope that with the ML buyout of Kelley that all of the old stuff doesn't go away. I've called Kelley over the years for parts for my vibrating knife or to have a lid made for a tank and was able to talk directly to a guy in the fabrication shop.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
I use their medium F frames for foundationless cut comb.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I used medium frames without foundation (normal plastic foundation frames with a Popsicle stick in the slot) last year for cutcomb. After cutting out the nice pieces of cutcomb I cut the rest off the frame and extracted it using a crush and strain method.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My understanding is that Kelley will make them for a minimum order of 200. I'm sure there are lots of folks here that would buy the 'extra' 100 from you! They last about 'forever'. I've some that I've used annually for 30 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts