Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be installing 2 packages of bees this weekend and I have read that bees will not take syrup under 50 degrees. Unfortunately, we will be having a cold spell in Salt Lake City with highs in the low 50's and lows in the mid 30's. Has anyone ever tried using ski hand warmers in a ziplock bag to help keep the syrup warm? I'm also thinking of adding a thermal emergency blanket on the top to keep in the heat. My other thought is to add warm syrup in the morning to start the day warmer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
I add warm syrup to warm it up. If there is no room to add syrup, I just ladle half out and heat it up and add back into feeder. My thought is atleast they can take it and store it when its warm.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am a new beekeeper so I'm not sure if this is ok. I have an observation hive in a cold barn. Bees were foraging and taking syruo like crazy when it was warm. Temps dropped to 50 for @ a week now and they were hardly taking any syrup. After reading your post I put a lightbulb next to the feeder to warm it up. Left it on all day and it warmed syrup up to a nice warm temp. Bees drank like an 1 1/2" out of quart jar today and the temp outside was just as cold. Not warming up hive just the quart jar that syrup is in. Think this is ok? It sure seemed to make them take more.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Once the syrup is up in temp to 50 or so deg, the bees will take it no problem. Once it's in the hive, they take care of keeping it correct temp to age it into honey for their use. I like the ideas of warming it up after being on the hive. If you are using hive top feeders, most of the time the bees heat rises and keeps it warm enough for them to take down. This has been my own experience with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts