Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that Russian queens need to be kept
"pure". why is that? Can anyone inlighten me?
I read it in the "treatment free report" on this site.
And how would that be achieved? And it didn't seem
to be a problem with other breeds. :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
they try to keep them pure so that they do not lose the natural traits of the breed. also from what I understand their natural mite resistance is lost fairly quickly if they are crossbred. also from personal experience the first hybrid from them tends to be really hot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:D well all mine have been open mated ,and they are still
nice to me.:D though most are still small hives. you can
definately see mixed traits. one hive will have brightly
colored bees right next to one that's almost black.
different numbers of stripes and so on. their my little
mutts.:D and I think their great.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
first hybrid from them tends to be really hot.
I raised 3 queens this spring from one of Velbert's russians. I put my mating nuc 10-15 miles from here so who knows what drones they mated with. I have 2 of them built up to 2 full deeps. They are very gentle. I'll let you know about other traits next year. The third one, I didn't get into yesterday.

(disclaimer: I'm only third year, and only 8 hives now.. so take what I say in light of my relative inexperience.. but I know hot from gentle!)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
aggressive when I open a hive stinging thru my gloves repeatedly.
"hot" as in half way through the beeyard I quit working them and considered drowning the whole yard in gasoline and striking a match....."HOT"

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Please define "pure" Russian. If you get Russians from a a Registered breeder,,,then your opinions are IMO worth looking at,,,,,,If you have "Russian" Queens from another source,,,,,,ie a company that buys their queens from a production queen breeder,,,,,,(I mean no offense here, just my experience) Then, you get what you get. It's a ,,,,,dice role,,,,,don't think I can use the word crap.:eek: That's like buying clam broth,,,,there was once a clam in the water. Again,,,,,,just MO. Having said that,,,,I just installed "Russian Breeder Association" queens in two of my hives. I'm sure somewhere along the line,,I'll have some daughter queens. Then,,,,,,,,I may eat my words. I will certainly do so with all humbleness and share. Just the way I am.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
318 Posts
All my bees are a mix of russian, carolian, italian, buckfast, all american, minn. hygenic and local wild bees. With that, some are more "warm" than others. Most days, most could probably be worked with gloves and a veil, others could never be worked with just gloves and a veil so I suit-up. I'd rather be warm than stung, plus I've had a few "large" local reactions.

The "warmest" hives don't come out to get you, but you need to wear a hat around them to observe them, and a suit to open them up with smoke.

However, that being said, they are survivors, treatment free for 8 years and I can usually pull off two supers per, with the "warmest" hive giving me 3 comb and one extraction super this year. I'll trade the suit for the health of the bees any day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts