Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a queen out of a hive for a few days, what are the best conditions for her and her attendants?

I have had mixed results.

I have kept Queens in delivery cages in the garage (90 degrees or so) on a plate with a wet paper towel, overnight, and they were fine. However I think the damp paper towel started to dissolve the sugar plug, so I would do it differently if I did it again.

Once I took a queen out of a hive, and kept here in a screened mason jar with attendants and a small paper towel with sugar water for 2 days inside at 74 degrees. She did OK but did not get established in her new hive.

Recently I tried the same thing, but left them in the garage (90 degrees) because I thought that was closer to hive conditions - those bees died overnight. I noticed they were initially very active, not calm.

I think they do better with a cover so they are not exposed to much light.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I always put mine in the closet next to my socks its realatively cool and dark I make sure to give a few drops of water on the screen everyday I have kept them for a week that way and still got them accepted

·
Registered
156 Posts
I keep caged queens on top of the bookcases in the library. It's relatively dark, temperate, and safe from kids and critters. I give them a couple drops of water daily. So far, so good.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I'd keep them on the cooler side, mid seventies and in as small as space as possible so they can keep each other warm if need be.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>If you have a queen out of a hive for a few days, what are the best conditions for her and her attendants?

Dark. Quiet. 70s would be nice. I usually put them in the basement in the summer. In the closet when the weather is cooler. A drop of water ever day (just one).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts