Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the cutout forum...but there is more traffic here. If a mod sees fit to remove it...it's ok.

I have told some people that I would do a cut out on a large hive in a storage building on Monday morning. The hive is between studs that are spaced @ 24" and the propolis squeezing out of the siding is about 6 ' tall. The owners say the hive has been there for at least 5 years. The weather has changed and it will probably be a little cool on Monday morning. I think it will be around 50 degrees when starting out. My question is how can I keep the brood warm while vacuuming off the bees and transferring the comb to the hive? I had a thought of putting a heating pad under the box but I do not know if that will be sufficient. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I actually have a similar concern regarding "chilled brood" after having put one blank bar between each of the larger combs in my top bar hive this past Saturday. Overnight temperatures have been in the mid 40's, and with the combs further apart, should i worry that the bees will have a hard time keeping the brood sufficiently heated?

Who knew there would be so much fretting in beekeeping! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts