Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common to find 10-20 bees stinging you inside the veil from time to time?
Originally I would put it on quite loose until it happened the first time. Last week I had it on so tight I was nearly choked and they still got in. They are crawling up my suit and go b/t the suit and veil. There are no holes I'm sure of it.
I'm using plenty of smoke and seems it generally does happen on a nice sunny day. And they are generally very nice bees. It's getting old and wondering if I'm missing the 'trick'?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Get a suit that has a zipper vail. I use the Mann Lake pollinator jacket, and haven't had any get in. Others will be along with their choices shortly.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Better yet, buy a veil from BJ Sherriff, and get
the one that has the integrated mesh vest with
the adjustable arm and waist openings.

You can buy veils from other vendors, but they
are all mere shadows of the Sherriff designs,
copies, rip-offs and imitations all.

·
Banned
6,073 Posts
For the price around 50 dollars, I like the Dadant jacket and zippered viel.

Always have a roll of duct tape in the truck. You never know when it will come in handy.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
>>jacket or suit with a zip on veil.

They have thier problems too.

Everytime I bend over, my nose touches the veil. Every once and a while, they sting the end of my nose. Happens more than you'd think.
Must be my big nose!!

My neighbour has a wide head, his ears routenely touch the sides of the zip up veil. He often complains about his ears getting stung. Gotten to the point where he sewed pieces of fabric to the sides to stop this from happening.

All I could do was smile when he tells me of this

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
{If a bee enters your veil you could all ways poke a hole quickly in it to let it out!!!}

Of course Walt that's a stupid suggestion, when I get a bee or 3 in my veil I just usually try and outrun them! :D

What are you doing that gets bee crawling all over you on a sunny day?

1) Standing in front of hives blocking the flight path?

2) Using Laundry detergent, softener or dryer sheets that smell like flowers?

3) Wearing perfumy deoderant or aftershave?

4) Wearing a dark colored bee suit or clothing?

I usually only have bees in the veil problem when I'm moving hives and then at night because they crawl on you as opposed to fly. How are you tying your veil (route on your body). When I used a tie veil (and sometimes still do) I often just wore a light shirt, I think most run the veil strings down in front, around under the arms around the back and back again to the front, then tie it at the waist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts