Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took off the remaining dry sugar from my hives and also found that the syrup I'd added a couple of weeks ago (2 gal) was gone. Things are just beginning to bloom big time in town but I haven't seen a lot out in the country where most of my hive are. However, I suspect that in 1-3 weeks there will be quite a bit for the bees to forage on. They are very short on stored food now. Should I add some more syrup or dry sugar just to be safe? The queens are laying well and I'd hate to loose them now. Our days are warming up and will be in the upper 70's next week but we could still have a late freeze. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
It's warm enough I'm sure to use sugar syrup instead of dry sugar, which will help you out better right now. Don't let the hive go dry, don't let the brood go dry. You should see wet open nectar in the frames around the brood. If you don't, then put sugar syrup on. Put it on anyway, to help build more brood for more bees as the nectar flow starts, since the hive is light now especially. That's what I'm thinking from what you described, anyways.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
What Ray said. Keep feeding. Now is when your hives will really starve on ya. Keep them feed well. They will stop taking your feed when a better source of nectar comes in. I am only able to check mine every 2-3 days. They are sucking down a gallon+ in that time. So I am still feeding, but won't be much longer. You will need to feed another 3-4 weeks is my guess for your area.

·
Registered
359 Posts
applebwoi-

I'm not seeing anything blooming in the country either. The city of lubbock is another story. Bradford pears, ornamentals etc. are in full bloom. The temp in the city is always 5-6 degrees higher than out here on the prairie. The buildings/concrete hold the warmth and I bet that affects city plants blooming a little earlier.

The elm trees around me finally popped, but then we had a couple of nights down in the twenties. Moisture has been good so I'm looking for a good wildflower bloom here.

Once you start feeding 1:1 syrup, I wouldn't stop until you know a nectar flow is on.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you all for the advice and confirmation to keep feeding. As soon as I can get back to the hives I'll put on some more syrup, maybe tomorrow. Certainly by mid week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts