Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you ship attendant bees with the queen in a JZBZ queen cage? Also if the queen is going to be out for just a few days, do you even need attendants? It seems to be like a lot of folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage, no matter what the type used.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I get a couple of queens a year in jzbz cages. Normally there's two attendants in with the queen, and a couple of dozen loose in the larger orange box. Mine have always arrived as rweakley said "fat and sassy".

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Absolutely. I routinely see 4 attendants in the JZBZ cages. I don't understand your the comment "folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage" Seems to me like a good way to insure a dead queen. Now, if you're talking about introduction, then yes, many remove the attendants prior to introduction (a good idea), but shipping or just held outside of a colony attendants are a must (IMO).

Just my 2 cents

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Can you ship attendant bees with the queen in a JZBZ queen cage?

Yes.

> Also if the queen is going to be out for just a few days, do you even need attendants?

More than a couple of hours, you need attendants.

> It seems to be like a lot of folks are getting away from attendant bees in the queen cage, no matter what the type used.

No need for them in a package, there are 12,000 attendants... No need in a battery box, there are a hundred attendants... But a queen in a cage has to have attendants and candy to live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts