Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good source for how to use the JZBZ cages? I have a set of bees coming that are using this. I'm only familiar with the standard queen cages.

thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Greetings...i'm your neighbor, more or less... Out of bee flying range, but less than 35 miles. Are you a part of the BANV club? Lots of good help there.

These cages are used in pretty much the same way as regular wooden queen cages..., you can rubber band them to a frame, stick em in some drawn out wax, lay them on top of frames, stick em between frames, etc. Not much difference. Just be sure the candy end is uncorked when you want it to be

·
Registered
671 Posts
I actually like the JZBZ cages better...they fit just rite between two frames. Just make sure the bees can get to the candy end like on the older style queen cages. They work great. In fact, I'd prefer to see more of the folks who sell queens to use them.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I use a tooth pick stuck through the cage (careful not to stick the queen) and just hang it on top of the frames.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I hold the cage in my left hand, with the candy tube horizontal and parralel with the top bar. With right hand use hive tool to spread open two frames and ease cage in. Use hive tool to tighten up frames so cage stays in place between frame top bars.

Johnny

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may try that method, thanks! i was thinking of crafting something to let the cage hang loose, but if it will stick to the frames with a bit of pressure, all the better!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts