Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on what to use as candy in these cages? A MannLake rep said they don't sell anything (candy) to fit and that folks fill it with whatever they might use. I've heard fondant...? Just pack it in?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
All you need is a blob of corn syrup and mix in confectioners sugar powder until you get a tack free dough, break off a piece roll it between your fingers until it is about 11/2" long and thin enough to go into the queen cage tube then block the one end and compress the roll until it fills up the tube. You are not supposed to use honey as it could transport AFB if you are shipping queens, however for your own use you could use honey instead of corn syrup.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I start with a little bit of corn syrup and some dry sugar. I heat it in the microwave until it's hot and liquid. Then I stir in more dry sugar until it's still hot and stiff. Force that into the tube. When it cools it will be fairly hard but not too hard.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I used that candy, called "circus peanuts." I swear it really works, and gives a three day release. One candy can get you enough for three cages. Disclaimer: I use the CA mini cages now, because I like the candy tube they come with, quick and easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts