Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...
Been lurk'n this BB site and found so much useful information to get started. My girls came in last week and hived my package 11 April with only a few zaps
. That will be the last time that I wear my leather watchband! By day 2 the girls were returning with pollen baskets ladden. Can't wait to see how the girls are doing inside...but I don't want to mess with the production.
Thank you all for sharing your experience...it certainly helps.

Regards,
Greysmoke from North Georgia

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good to hear from you, and I share your feelings. Speak up more often, Greysmoke, we all have something to share. From your handle, sounds like you play with smoke poles.
Joel

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...if you are talk'n about cigars, you are absolutely correct!
Going to check on the girls this weekend to see how they are doing...feed some sugar water and to take out the queens cage. I already want another hive for next year.

*stupid question*
Is there a way that you can tell when bees bring in nectar? The girls are definately bringing in pollen from the visual on their pollen baskets... but to know if they are gathering nectar without check'n the inside of the hive?

Regards,
Greysmoke

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
There won't be a steady stream of bees coming and going in the same direction unless they are either getting pollen or nectar. So if it's not pollen it must be nectar.Otherwise they will be going different directions looking for forage. But yes, there will also be comb being drawn and nectar being stored.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike= Thanx for the reply

Bill= Never heard of black powder refered to that but certainly makes sense(I've should've known that). Being active duty military we have since updated on some systems!

Regards,
Greysmoke

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I've made two squat 13' tipis. Sort of Sioux style with Cheyenne flaps but squat so it the poles are two feet shorter. I've made an 11' the same basic design. I have two 14' Sioux style and a 10' that's a straight up cone.

Tents are made to camp in, tipis are made to live in.

I've lived in mine for several months at a time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I was referring to black powder rifles, and I personally much prefer them to cigars. Different strokes for different folks. When I was in the Army it was M1s and M14s, so got used to a little more modern stuff, too. Shot High Power with my 1903A3 for a while about 15 yrs ago, when my eyes still worked. 1,000 yds is a long way through a peep sight. Know a little about Mike's smoke poles, too. Spent a winter in Idaho in a 20' Sioux lodge. Interesting experience. At -20 F, my pet duck, Myrtle Mallard came in and curled up next to the fire to keep warm. Peace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts