Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, like the post says Im just trying to get into beekeeping. Ive been doing alot of reading and hung out with a couple people who have bees, to learn the extreme basics. One of the guys gave me a bottom deep and a shallow with frames, that already have the comb built up to get started with. I plan on ordering another deep with a few extra mediums to have on hand, along with all the other basic gear that is needed. Ive been trying to find some bees to get started with, but Ive found out and have been told its a rough time to try and get into beekeeping this time of year. I have found a place not to far from where I live that will have some nucs next month, so Im gonna try and get 1 or 2 to start off with. Unless anyone on here may can help me out with someone who may have some bees now. I live about 45 min south of Atlanta GA. Anyways hope to learn alot from some of the folks on here, and if anyone has any extra advice feel free to send it my way. Thanks.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome. Not sure about your area but where I live craigslist always seems to have multiplie offerings of local nucs this time of year, might be worth a look. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I jumped into beekeeping last year at the end of July, so I don't consider April to be too late. I would encourage you to start with a nuc if you can find one. They are definitely easier for first timers to get started with, in my opinion. You should also look online for a local beeclub in your area so you can start making some connections with other beekeepers. April and May are prime months for bee swarms, and if you get hooked up with a club, you might be able to get local bees that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts