Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i go about starting with lanstroth hives .
I have been using top bar here in
Nigeria

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
You can find plans for the hive on this website. You will need frames as well. Do a search here for frame building. Someone posted a message on it. Also search for foundationless frames. Micheal Bush, myself, and some others use foundationless. It will save you trying to make or ship foundation. You can start by tieing existing comb into the frames.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Whatever you do: Make sure you use precise measurements to preserve the Bee-Space. No fun to find everything propolized together

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its so nice to belong .I never thought i was making any impact to be missied.
I thank you all for the contributions.
Actually we ( Beekeeping Extension Society )are presently making foundations and fixing to wired frames.
Over here, to get bees we have to depend on the natural swarms which are usually very weak .
We tried increasing the colonies in the langstroth but each time we do that the bees abscond

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
A lot of us are moving to top bar hives.

You might want to try a hybrid. A top bar with a frame on it so you get the benefits of calmer bees and no lifting and the benefits of frames.

Are these Scutella bees or Italian bees or something else? If they are Scutella perhaps they don't like too big of an increase in space and that's why they abscond? Maybe if you build mediums or even eight frame mediums and add less space at a time they will accept it better?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have very agressive Scutella bees .With your technical support things will have to work out the way we want.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I think I'd go with a long Langstroth dimension hive with solid top bars and deep frames.

In other words, instead of a 16 1/4" by 19 7/8" box I'd make a 32 1/2" by 19 7/8" box. I'd make it 10 3/8" deep (9 5/8" plus 3/4" for the bottom space). And I'd make the frames standard deep Langstroth dimensions (19" top bars, 17 1/2" bottom bars and 9 1/8" deep). But I'd make a top bar 1 1/4" wide (32mm) and make a frame out of triangular wood like a picture frame nailed and glued to the top bar so there's a bevel all the way around for a guide for the bees to attach the comb and keep it in the frame.

That way you have the advantages of a Top bar hive and the advantages a frame. You'll have the solid top to keep the bees calm because of the 1 1/4" wide top bars. You'll have the long hive so you don't have to lift. You won't need foundation because of the beveled frame. If you want to put a dowel down the center vertically you could get by without wiring and still be able to extract, if you like or cut comb if you like.

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/BeveledTopBarFrame.JPG

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/DadantDeep1.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts