Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just set up my first hive and put the bee's in sunday. I mixed 1/1 sugar water and put it in mason jars to feed them. How long should I wait to check on the queen to see if she has been released? Also do I get rid of the burr comb if there is any?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good luck... I just set my first hive up Sunday as well, but I'm starting with a nuc installed in a 10 frame deep box. I'm feeding 2:1 sugar water per the beek that I bought it from.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would check on her after 3-5 days. If she isn't released and the bees are not biting at the cage I would very carefully remove the cork or sugar plug and release her. If they are nearly through the sugar you can just let them finish. Make sure there are no dead attendent bees blocking the entrance. Put the sugar end up or sideways to prevent this. I spend very little time worrying about burr comb. You tear it out and they just put it back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I put the queen in I pulled the plug where the candy is. I turned the cage with the opening at the top so if any of the attendants died she could still get out. I plan to check it thursday. That gives it 4 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts