Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

I have a lady that wants me to remove some bees from one of the eaves of her house. I inspected it last fall and convinced her to wait until spring to do the removal. I've been by a couple of times this spring to check for activity and to see if they made it through the winter or not. I haven't seen a single thing coming or going, when last fall they were booming. She swears she's seen activity this spring. I'd hate to think this colony died out.

Could it be they're not very active yet? They're on the north side of the house, and when I went by at lunch today to check on them, the north wind was blowing right into their entrance (and has been all winter). I don't really want to tear into the soffit/facia area if I don't have to do it, so I'm mostly looking for reassurance that since they're on the north side of this house in the shad that they might not be a super active colony until the weather gets really warm. Does that make any sense at all?

TIA

Registered
If she has seen activity this spring probably still alive. Go by on a day the the temperature is warmer (the next four days), you will see something, if nothing else, robbing.

Registered
how warm was it, sunny? Did you bang on the area, check for sound? sounds like you need to check again on a warmer day. They could be there they could be not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
how warm was it, sunny? Did you bang on the area, check for sound? sounds like you need to check again on a warmer day. They could be there they could be not.
i did bang on the fascia board in front of the area where it looks like they should be living. i had nothing come out to "greet" me afterwards. the entrance was heavily propolised. couldn't hear anything because the darn wind was blowing too hard, and the traffic was too loud. i'll stop back by tomorrow afternoon to see what's going on. looking for a hi close to 80 tomorrow, so if they're there, they should be active.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts