Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little Tomato plant blessed the Hambone family this afternoon. I am going to take this little mater under my wing, give it nourishment it needs and a happy garden to grow. We are so happy. :D

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears you're having triplets (at least).
Yeah...It's around 50 right now. :eek: I will knock it down to about 10 total though.

So what variety of tomato are they?
The one pictured is Brandywine. An heirloom I am trying out. I am also doing some cherriers (love those) and last but not least I am doing some Jet Star Hybrid.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Yeah...It's around 50 right now. I will knock it down to about 10 total though.

You can put 50 plants in a tiny corner of the yard...

The one pictured is Brandywine. An heirloom I am trying out.

Pink, yellow, black? Oxhearts are another popular heirloom worth trying out too.

Almost another month and a half before we start tomatoes up here. 2 feet of snow on the ground right now.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pink and close to a beefsteak shape if my memory is correct.

I will lookup the Oxhearts and try them out. I still have time to order the seeds and get them started.

Edit:

Here is the wiki page I found on the Brandy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandywine_(tomato)

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Yes, they are a beefsteak type. The shoulders by the stem may still stay green, even when they are ripe. (So don't think you have to wait until the green is all gone before you pick. If it looks/feels ripe, eat it.)

Don't be afraid to try different colors of tomatoes - the flavor differences can be surprising.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Also, it should be noted that since this is an heirloom variety, you can save the seeds and replant them next year. You don't have to buy new seeds next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts