Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started last year I was told don't expect a lot of honey your first year, just concentrate on building your hive up with bees and making comb. Expect honey your second year. As I was reading articles from this forum and another book last night about swarms, splits, and checkerboarding, I realized that just when you are happy with your number of bees and the workforce to really make you some honey, that's when they want to pack up and leave which in turn, would mean less honey. Am I crazy or what?

·
Registered
508 Posts
No, it's an art. You just have to stay on top of it. You'll learn as you go, but remember to continue giving bees space before they need it. Sometimes they will still swarm, but you'll get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Naw, you're not crazy. The bees just don't like paying rent, and some of them get ticked off and move out to what they hope are greener pastures. :lpf: Actually, is the normal reproductive swarming event, with which we have to cope every year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but it's the timing of the coping that I don't like. I wouldn't mind it so much if it was later after they filled some supers. LOL.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Swarming is the nature of bees, like a teen-ager in-heat. The energy of the colony will go to swarming, or the mites, or making honey. As the beekeeper, you may have an opportunity to deside for them.
It is similar to growing apples. The tree wants to produce branches and folage. The orchardist prunes the tree,directing the energy of the tree into lots of BIG fruit.
Preventing swarming is very difficult and tricky, AND THE KEY to a big honey crop !

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
The package my wife started on foundation last year, made 2 supers of honey for her. I think their saying don't get you're hopes up, but be prepared you might need a few supers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts