Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cleaning out some old dark brown comb from a hive I will start using this spring. Has anyone tried to recycle the comb in a dirt composter? I would assume it would break down but would it attract wax moths?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I think it would take a long time to break down and will just be an annoyance if you get some in compost you want to use. Any reason you don't melt it down and use it for various things? Wax is an added bonus to being a beekeeper. J

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Definantly melt down the comb for the wax and use the slumgum as fire starter for the bbq. I would not attempt to compost wax.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it would take a long time to break down and will just be an annoyance if you get some in compost you want to use. Any reason you don't melt it down and use it for various things? Wax is an added bonus to being a beekeeper. J
It was just really dirty m old wax from a dormant hive I was cleaning. still had some honey which was making it even messier.Being organic , I figured the bacteria culture in the compost would break it down pretty fast and could help the nutrient level. Just a thought.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Well, you could segregate it in a separate area and conduct an experiment and see. We encourage experiments. If wax is just too dirty to refine, I still melt it once and use it. Like Jw said, the slumgum is a good fire starter. I use the dirty wax to rub on the inside of new hive boxes. It is also good for swarm traps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts