Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
A friend was helping me load up 11 hives July 15 to move to soybeans. After dark, hot, no screens because they were bearding... used poles to lift the hives, him in back, me in front. Because they were mine, I was backing up, stumbled over a rock, fell, we dropped the hive, and couldn't run fast enough from the stinging, even though had long sleeves, veils, and gloves. That was one cranky hive. Problem was, I had to return 2 hours later to put it back upright. Not a good experience. But not as bad as losing a semi load. Gotta keep things in perspective.:D
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
459 Posts
Last fall I had an oak tree die right above where my hives sit on the hill behind my house.I hired a guy to drop it and he said he could lay it down without hitting any hives.When he cut the tree the trunk dropped perfectly in between the 5 hives without hitting a thing but one limb about 8 inches in diameter and about 10 foot long broke off as it came down and knocked over a 10 framer with 2 deeps and a medium.Talk about your tree guys making a run for it! I had to suit up and set the hive back up.The bees were pretty mad but got over it soon enough.My smoker was the only casualty but I bent it back out and still use it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm keeping the dumping a whole hive over and droping a hive body on the never do that list.

I guess it goes to show you that you can't get let your gaurd down when working the hives.

·
Registered
429 Posts
yeah Dru there is a guy named Murphy out at your hives everyday that you are, and he is just waiting for you to give him the chance to show you he is there... I know him personally, and I have a very high level of respect for him....:lookout::ws

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was doing a cut out in someones bedroom last July and a chunk of plaster smashed the plexi top to my bee vac. It was full of bees and then in an instant it was empty.:doh:
What made it so bad it was it was 100+ in the room and we had already been in there for 2 hours. and we had an audience watching thru the window. It was our first cutout, but not the last.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts