Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Linda in Northern Michigan. My husband and I got a nuc this spring and our "mentor" isn't as involved as we'd expected so we are trying to learn a lot fast. Just happy to find this forum and we are looking forward to gleaning knowledge from all the experienced beekeepers here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Does your city/county have a Beekeeper's Association? Try to find the nearest one and get a new mentor through them. Forums and videos can only get you so far. Good luck!

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
966 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

Look here for a local club.............

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
our "mentor" isn't as involved as we'd expected
Assuming your "mentor" is unpaid, this is what pretty much you should expect.
It is a lot of time to commit with a beginning beeks with little payback.
If you pay them, then maybe.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I am not saying this happened! But sometimes when I am trying to help beginners they have read parts of two books and know more than I have learned in fifty years. I also tend to fall off the helping wagon when new folks insist on fad equipment and methodology like treatment free and special magic bullet wintering bees that I know are going to make it hard for them to succeed. If someone keeps russians in top bar hives treatment free, I just do not want to waste my time on what is going to be a train wreck. Pay attention to what successful people in your immediate area are doing. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your city/county have a Beekeeper's Association? Try to find the nearest one and get a new mentor through them. Forums and videos can only get you so far. Good luck!

Yes, thank you and we are in the process of contacting them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum .

Look here for a local club.............

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming your "mentor" is unpaid, this is what pretty much you should expect.
It is a lot of time to commit with a beginning beeks with little payback.
If you pay them, then maybe.
Thanks. Yes I hear you and that's very true. He's a friend and we have a totally understanding relationship, but he has had unexpected family situation so that's why he's not available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not saying this happened! But sometimes when I am trying to help beginners they have read parts of two books and know more than I have learned in fifty years. I also tend to fall off the helping wagon when new folks insist on fad equipment and methodology like treatment free and special magic bullet wintering bees that I know are going to make it hard for them to succeed. If someone keeps russians in top bar hives treatment free, I just do not want to waste my time on what is going to be a train wreck. Pay attention to what successful people in your immediate area are doing. Good luck
Thanks. I appreciate your input. The problem is more that we HAVEN'T read enough and were not prepared yet to be on our own, but our mentor is a good friend who had all the equipment and wanted to get us into it. He introduced us to a local experienced, but very busy beekeeper who provided the nuc. Unfortunately our friend has family situation that has taken the time he thought he'd have and admits it's been many years since he did this, so we're trying to not burden him nor the local beekeeper, though we will certainly pay for time and expertise.

We didn't know to treat for mites this spring and now we have 2 brood boxes heavy with honey and comb so not sure if it's too late to treat? We think maybe we should have added another brood box before now but we don't have another one handy but we do have supers. Bees are bringing in pollen and have good nectar sources now but the frames are so full, we can't be sure we have eggs. So we take the responsibility for being unprepared but now we just need to do the best for our bees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts