Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get the dimensions to boxes and frames to the old jumbos no one seems to make anymore? I'm doing an experiment with several hives in the spring and making the equipment since I can't seem to find it produced commercially. Thanx.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i have some REAL old dadant 11 frame equment if this is what you are talking about. i could measure it for you

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
I think you are going to need a better term than "old Jumbo" for anyone to know which hive yiou are talking about. That has about as clear a definition to me as "CCD" or "Disappearing Disease".

I have hives with "Jumbo" 11 1/4" deep frames that have the same frootprint as a common Langstroth hives except that the brood boxes are deep enough to accommodate the frames, about 11 5/8" deep. I also have Brother Adam hives that measure 19 7/8" square or thee abouts with the same depth.

And then thee are all of the English and European size hives. Here is a paste and copy from an old Beesource post:

Hive Sizes
JWG
Field Bee

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2006 03:57 PM Profile for JWG Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post A couple notes on the larger brood frames:

Historically in North America there were two large brood frame designs, the Dadant and the Langstroth Jumbo. There is no "Dadant Jumbo."

The standard Dadant brood frame (like the one used by Br. Adam) has the dimensions 17 5/8 * 11 1/4 inches. There are 11 of these in the Modified Dadant hive, and 12 in the Buckfast Dadant hive. The frames are spaced wider than Langstroth, on 1 1/2" centers (an important difference).

The Langstroth brood frame is 17 5/8 * 9 1/8 in. Normally used in an 8 or 10 frame configuration. (One of the reasons why the 10 fr. hive became popular is because the 8-fr. had a tendency to tip over.) Frame spacing is 1 3/8" center to center.

The Langstroth Jumbo brood frame is deeper, at 11 1/4", making it similar to the Dadant brood frame, but it retains the narrower spacing.

In Britain, many users of National Hives have gone to a 3 1/2 inch-deeper version of the British Standard brood frame, at 14 x 12 in. to allow for a larger continuous brood comb area. This would be analogous to the Jumbo Langstroth frame.

20 years ago you could still get Lang. Jumbo frames and bodies from at least one supplier in Quebec but now they aren't in the North American catalogs anymore that I know of. Posts: 131 | From: Wakefield, MA, USA | Registered: Jun 2004 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Gillmore
Field Bee

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Jumbo dimensions are covered in The Hive and the Honeybee. It should be about page 403 on the last copy I have.

DarJones

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just got some modified dadant frames from Rossman beesupply. (htye were special order from http://www.gabees.com) These are the dadant depth and the length of a langstroth. These fit what used to be called the modified Dadant hive. It was the same depth as the large dadant hive but the same length as the langstoth hives and had 11 frames. You can still get wired foundation to fit these frames from Dadants.
I made some modified Dadant hives. ck out my blog at http://pastormike.vox.com/library/post/modified-dadant-bee-hives-1.html

Pastor Mike in Iowa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts